Apr 27, 2015

Film: Exploring Medium Format

For years I'd been dreaming about exploring film again. It's what I started out on and last year it was all I dreamt about. I'd given myself excuse after excuse not to pursue film, but it kept haunting me  until I gave in.

Last fall I found myself eyeing a medium format camera online, and with the encouragement and support of my husband and a few close loved ones, I dove right in. I got myself a Mamiya 645 AFD right before traveling to California. So I shipped it out to my best friends' house to meet me on the west coast and from there it was all butterflies in my stomach and fear.

Let me tell you, I was so afraid.

I was afraid because film felt absolutely foreign again. I was afraid I'd load the film wrong, or ruin the exposure, or leak light somewhere. I was afraid when I took every single shot, unsure of my camera settings, but really unsure of my skill. 

And after all was said and done, I was still afraid to send in my first rolls for developing. So the film stayed undeveloped for 6 months. 6 whole months. The truth is, I am a wimp. This is all I have been aching to do for the past year, yet it scared me to no end to actually follow through with it. 

But last week I built up the courage to finally send in my rolls to Fulltone Photo. I know there are many amazing photo labs around the country, and I've done plenty of research, but Fullton was the most cost effective for my first round of "trial & error". 

For my first set of scans I am extremely happy. I know I'll be shopping around in the future and I'll be sure to try other labs, but for now I'm grateful just to simply view my images and know that my rolls did not come out as duds. All without breaking the bank.
Here are a few favorites from my first few rolls of Kodak 400TX black & white.

{Some of which might be repeats from this post I did in digital}


A gigantic thank you goes out to my best friends who cheer me on while also modeling for me.
Their love and support helped make me brave.

No comments:

Post a Comment