Jun 3, 2011

Film: Navy Wedding

Lately I've been truly inspired to shoot film again. It's definitely a lost art, and still one of my favorite things to do. Though I don't have my own dark room, nor do I have the resources to develop my own film, Target is my go-to place when I'm feeling extra creative and will develop my film for me. Woo-hoo Target!

Anyways ... this last wedding I shoot {the Navy wedding} I wanted to challenged myself to shoot not just digital, but to in film. Boy was I was nervous, but it was something I've been dying to try so I just went for it. Looking at my images they turned out pretty sweet, but now I know where I can make improvements and I'm going to keep at it till I'm satisfied. 

You don't know what you can do till you try right? So I did. And here's what came out.

I shot all of these with my big sister's fully manual FM10 we've been Nikon girls from the start. It made me nervous that I really had to rely 100% on my manual skills because having no LCD screen to show me my shots felt like shooting blind. But it was exhilarating and worth it, I'm so glad I gave it a try.
I know alot of my digital shots are the same as these, but it's giving me somewhere to start and a place to compare and contrast.  I can definitely see a difference with my digital shots and my film shots. To start, my digital shots are definitely "creamier" than my film shots, but I know what needs to be done differently with film to get the "creaminess" back.
*This is my favorite film shot by far. Her veil was too beautiful and "the blurriness makes the picture come to life" as Jose Villa would say and for lack of a better word.
There are two major things I know I can do differently next time, First is the film speed. I just grabbed what I had readily available to me in my camera bag, which was Fuji 400 colored film. Nothing fancy, I know. But now I know I'm going to definitely need something faster like Kodak Professional Portra 800 film or Fujicolor Pro 800z, which are also pricier but worth it. I bought a roll of the Kodak Portra 800 today so we'll see how that goes. 

And secondly the lens choice. I decided to shoot with the original lens my sister got with the camera that day because I reserved all my prime lenses for my digital slr, which was my main camera. I believe the lens I used on film was something comparable to a 28-80mm 3.5-5.6 lens, but don't quote me on that. What I love about Nikon is that all the lens made in the last 30 years I believe are interchangeable with most if not all Nikon camera bodies {expect for full frame cameras/lenses}. So I know I'm able to shoot with my prime lenses on the FM10 and when I do I'll get back that creamy, shallow depth of field I love so much.
There are a few other things I could have done differently, and I know I can improve ... but this was a trial and error of sorts and my first go at shooting film in a long time. But with that said and done, I'm still pretty happy with how things came out.
Stay tuned because I'll be posting more film adventures as I continue to practice and re-learn my way around film. It's going to be a fun ride.
Ps. My apologies if this post seems a bit redundant with images, since I posted this ceremony already ... but thanks so much for sticking around. 

2 comments:

  1. :) Fun! I love them! And I love film!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are beautiful and have a real vintage feel to them - and they do look 'creamy'. You're very brave shooting film and indeed it's a bit of a lost art. Funny how quickly this technology developed. I remember well when the first digital cameras were introduced (and how bad and grainy they were). Thanks for sharing your photos. As a new 'amateur photographer/blogger', I always learn so much from seeing other people's photography.

    The bride's dress is so lovely, by the way!

    Blessings,
    This Good Life

    ReplyDelete